Establishment, Oparation and Working Principles By-Law
This By-Law encompasses the rules concerning the operation of the English Preparatory Program studies, conditions and principles for student admissions, principles related to identifying student success in English language as well as relevant rules and regulations pertaining to the Academic Personnel employed at the English Preparatory School.
- Brief Title
Arkın University of Creative Arts and Design (ARUCAD), English Preparatory School (EPS) Establishment, Operation and Working Principles By-Law.
Unless otherwise stated, the meaning of the terms “Council of Ministers”, “Government”, “English Preparatory School”, “Director”, “Undergraduate”, “Academic Staff”, “Formal Education”, “Rector”, and “Board of Trustees” are equivalent to their meanings defined in the Statute establishing the Arkın University of Creative Arts and Design.
This By-Law aims to regulate principles concerning the establishment, organization, operation and duties of the English Preparatory School.
This by-law encompasses the rules and regulations pursuant to the operation of English Preparatory School, English Preparatory School student admissions, principles related to identifying student success in English.
For the issues which are not stated in these regulations, “ARUCAD Associate Degree and Undergraduate Registration, Education, Examination and Success Regulations” and “ARUCAD Rules and Regulations for Student Disciplinary Code” are applied.
OPERATION AND PROGRAMS
- English Preparatory School
The main aim of the English Preparatory School program is to assess and evaluate the English Language Proficiency levels of the newly admitted ARUCAD students, place them into appropriate English language courses and provide English language courses to bring their English language proficiency levels to the required levels to enable them to pursue their education at the English medium Faculties successfully.
- English Language Programs
(1) English Language Programs at English Preparatory School is designed in consideration with the needs of the English Preparatory School students in their chosen academic studies as well as the recommendation made by the Faculties.
(2) Students admitted to the English Preparatory School have to follow the English Language Program which is prepared by the Directorate of English Preparatory School.
(3) The Education at English Preparatory School is based on Common European Framework as Reference for Languages (CEFR) and therefore, the undergraduate students who complete their English Preparatory program successfully are aimed to be at least at B1 and Master and Ph. D students B2 English Language Proficiency Levels (independent user).
- Conditions for Student Registration and Admission
The issues related to student registration and admission at the English Preparatory School are applied under the provision of “Associate Degree and Undergraduate Admissions, Education, Examination and Success Regulations” rules.
- Duration of Education
The standard duration of education at English Preparatory School is two years. Each academic year has two semesters (16 weeks each including exams) and an intensive summer semester program (eight-week program including exams) when required. Duration of each class is 50 minutes.
- Academic Calendar
Each year academic Calendar is prepared by the Registrar’s Office, finalized with the decision of the Senate before the end of the previous academic year, and announced on the University’s website by the Registrar’s Office. Provisions related to English Preparatory School academic calendar are subject to conditions stated in Article 6 of “ARUCAD Associate Degree and Undergraduate Registration, Education, Examination and Success Regulations”.
- Tuition Fees
Provisions stated in Article 31 of “ARUCAD Associate Degree and Undergraduate Registration, Education, Examination and Success Regulations” are applied to English Preparatory School student tuition fees.
- Exemption, Classification and English Language Proficiency Levels
(1) The medium of instruction at ARUCAD is English language. The required English language proficiency to be admitted to undergraduate studies is CEFR B1, and CEFR B2 for Master/Ph. D studies in English language.
(2) The newly admitted ARUCAD students who are unable to confirm their English language proficiency levels with an internationally accepted English language certificate as indicated in Table 1 are obliged to take ARUCAD’s English Language Placement Examination (ELPE).
(3) Before the approval of the external exam results which are submitted, an investigation about these results may be possible if needed. The discretion for the validity of the documents exceeding two years belongs to English Preparatory School.
Table 1: ARUCAD’s English Preparatory School Exemption Criteria
|Name of the Test
||Minimum Grades Required for Undergraduate Studies
|Minimum Grades Required for MA/MSc Studies
|Validity of the Exam Results
( ARUCAD’s English Language Placement Examination)
|KPDS /ÜDS / YDS / YÖKDİL
(Kamu Personeli Yabancı Dil Bilgisi Seviye Tespit Sınavı , Üniversitelerarası Kurul Yabancı Dil Sınavı ve Yabancı Dil Bilgisi Seviye Tespit Sınavı /Yükseköğretim Kurumları Yabancı Dil Sınavı )
(International English Language Testing System)
(Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language)
(Computer-based Test of English as a Foreign Language)
(Paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language)
|English Language GCE/IGCSE
(General Certificate of Education/ International General Certificate of Secondary Education)
(First Certificate in English)
(Certificate of Proficiency in English/ Certificate of Proficiency in English)
(The SAT Reasoning Test)
|Reading &Writing: Minimum 420
||Reading and Writing: Minimum 440
(Pearson Test of English)
|English Language WAEC/WASSCE
(West African Examinations Council)
(4). The main aim of ARUCAD’s ELPE is to identify newly admitted ARUCAD students’ English language proficiency levels and place them into the appropriate proficiency levels at the English Preparatory School.
(5) ARUCAD’s English Language Placement Examination is administered twice every academic year. New students who registered to ARUCAD are eligible to take the English Language Placement Examination at the beginning of the Fall and Spring Semesters. Needless to say, each student can take the test only once.
(6) Students who are able to achieve the required pass grades from ARUCAD’s English Placement Exam as well as students with a valid English language certificate (see Table 1) are exempted from the English Preparatory School’s program and they are directly admitted to the Faculty.
(7) ARUCAD’s new students who are able to provide proof of successful completion of their English Preparatory School English language education at another university with a valid document (B1 for undergraduate studies and B2 for MA/MSc studies) will be exempted from the English Preparatory School studies.
(8) MA and Graduate Students are subject to provisions in Article 3 of “ARUCAD Rules and Regulations for Graduate Studies” concerning the English language requirements and exemption from the English Preparatory School English language program.
(9) It should be noted that ARUCAD’s new students with a valid English language certificate, and students who have achieved a pass grade from the English Language Placement Exam, are still eligible to study at the English Preparatory School English language program with their consent to further improve their English language proficiency. Those students are placed in Prep B1 or Prep B2 English language courses.
(10) English Preparatory School students are placed in Prep A1, Prep A2 (basic user) and Prep B1, and Prep B2 (independent user) level courses in accordance with the grades they achieve from English Preparatory School, English Language Placement Test as indicated in Table 2. Normally the duration of each of English language proficiency level is one academic semester except for A1+A2 which can be completed in one semester and every semester, if necessary, all of these English language proficiency levels are available for education. A student has to follow the program which is determined in line wih his/her performance on the written and/or oral English Language Placement Examination.
Table 2: English Language Placement Exam Results and Students’ Classification
|Prep A1/A2 Level
||B1(Bachelor Degree Students)
||B2 (MA/Ph. D students)
||60+ (BA Students)
80+ (MA/Ph. D students)
- Examinations and Success at the English Preparatory School
(1) Conditions for assessment and evaluation matters for English Preparatory School students are applied in line with the provisions stated in Articles 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 of “ARUCAD Associate Degree and Undergraduate Registration, Education, Examination and Success Regulations”.
(2) At the commencement of each academic year, English Preparatory School announces the English language curriculum, course syllabus and the assignments, projects and homework etc. which English Preparatory School students are required to perform.
(3) English Preparatory School students are assessed by both Summative and Formative Assessment methods and techniques. Students’ end of semester grades consists of the total of 30% of Mid-term exam, 30% of Portfolio assessment which consists of the assignments students complete during the semester, and 40% of the Final Exams. The pass grade is 60/100 and above for all English language proficiency levels.
(4) Prep B1and Prep B2 students’ success grades consist of total of the students’ 40% of the end of semester grades and 60% of the grades they obtain from the English Proficiency Examination. The pass grade is 60/100 and above for undergraduate students and 80/100 and above for Master students.
(5) Success in the Prep B1 and Prep B2 levels is not sufficient for the completion of the English Preparatory School program. Success in the English Proficiency Exam is also essential for the successful completion of the English Preparatory School program.
(6) The English Proficiency Examination aims to assess and evaluate whether English Preparatory School students who have studied English at the Prep B1/B2 levels of the English Preparatory School have developed their English language knowledge and skills to the required English language knowledge and skills so that they can successfully follow the courses at the faculty/institute.
(7) The English Language Placement and The English Language Proficiency Examinations are administered on the dates indicated in the ARUCAD academic calendar.
(8) English Preparatory School students who have studied at Prep B1 or Prep B2 proficiency levels at least one semester are eligible to sit the English Proficiency Examination which is held at the beginning and end of Fall Semester, and at the end of Spring and Summer Semesters.
(9) The content of the English Proficiency Examination is specified in consideration with the needs of the students at the Faculty in terms of English language knowledge and skills.
(10) The English Proficiency Exam is applied under the conditions stated below:
- Only those students who completed their Prep B1 or Prep B2 studies for minimum one semester at the English Preparatory School obtain the right to sit English Proficiency Examination.
- English Preparatory School students can sit English Proficiency Exam more than once throughout their English language education at English Preparatory School.
- Students who have failed their studies due to low attendance and students who are on leave of absence are not eligible to sit English Proficiency Exam. Those students have to repeat their levels.
- Only those students who are able to achieve a pass score from this exam obtain the right to register to their chosen Faculty at the beginning of the following semester.
- Students who fail the English Proficiency Exam after studying two academic years in English Preparatory School Programs are dismissed from the university. However, Students with Turkish Republic citizenship are subject to YÖK rules and regulations.
- There is no make-up exam for the English Proficiency Exam.
- Prep B1 and Prep B2 students who are unable to obtain a pass mark from the English Proficiency Exam at the end of the Spring and Summer Semesters are eligible to sit the English Proficiency Exam at the beginning of the Fall Semester.
- TRNC students receiving education at the English Preparatory School have the right to transfer to Turkish-medium programs regardless of their performance at the English Preparatory School, if requested.
- ARUCAD’s students have the right to appeal to all ARUCAD’s English Language Examination results within three consecutive days following the announcement of the exam results and evaluations are finalized within 5 consecutive working days by the English Preparatory School examination board.
- Obligatory Attendance
Provisions of Article 50 of “ARUCAD Associate Degree and Undergraduate Registrations, Education, Examination and Success Regulations” are applied to the conditions regarding the attendance of the students registered at the English Preparatory School. As stated in this article, students at English Preparatory School are obliged to attend the classes by a minimum of 70 %. Those who fail to obey this rule lose their right to sit the Final as well as English Proficiency Exams and are considered unsuccessful and repeat their English language courses.
- Leave of Absence
(1) Students who continue their education at the English Preparatory School are eligible to apply for a leave of absence for valid and acceptable reasons. Conditions for student leave of absence for the English Preparatory School students are applied with the provisions of the “ARUCAD Associate Degree and Undergraduate Admissions, Education, Examination and Success Regulations” (Articles,36 and 37).
(2) Students who apply for a leave of absence cannot sit an exam during their leave. They are eligible to take the English Proficiency Examination after they pursue their Prep B1 or Prep B1 studies minimum one semester.
- Student Disciplinary Matters
Provisions of the “ARUCAD Rules and Regulations for Student Disciplinary Code” are applied in case of any event of a disciplinary matter concerning students taking place within the English Preparatory School.
- Rules on Cadres, Scales, Recruitment, and Personnel
ARUCAD personnel including English Preparatory School academic personnel are subject to the conditions as stated in the “TRNC Labor by law” (calısma.gov.ct.tr) concerning staffing, employment and payment procedures.
(1) The Administrative staff including Director and Vice Director(s) of the English Preparatory School are appointed in line with the provisions of the “Statute Establishing Arkın University of Creative Arts and Design.
(2) Director is the chief executive who is accountable to the Vice Rector in the administration of English Preparatory School.
(3) The Director of the English Preparatory School is appointed for a period of three years with the recommendation of the Rector and approval of the Board of Trustees for three years.
(4) The same Director can be re-appointed upon the expiration of his/her term of office.
(5) The English Preparatory School Director can be dismissed from his/her duties by the same method.
(6) A maximum of two Vice Directors, from among full-time teaching staff to be proposed by the Director to the Rector are appointed for three years following the approval of the Rector and the Board of Trustees.
(7) Delegation to the Director is subject to the provisions of the delegation to the Dean.
(8) Director of the English Preparatory School fulfills the duties assigned to the Dean with the provisions of the relevant by-laws and this statue.
- English Preparatory School Council
(1) Chaired by the Director, English Preparatory School Council is formed by the Vice Director(s).
(2) English Preparatory School Council fulfills the duties assigned to the Faculty Board with the provisions of the relevant by-laws and this statue.
- English Preparatory School Administrative Board
(1) English Preparatory School Administrative Board consists of the Director of the English Preparatory School, chairing the board, Vice Director(s) and three instructors to be elected by the school board for three years from among six candidates nominated by the director.
(2) The School Administrative Board fulfills the duties assigned to the Faculty Administrative Board by relevant by-laws and this statute.
These Regulations will be applied to students who registered at ARUCAD
University as of the beginning of the 2021‐2022 academic year.
These Regulations are executed by the Rector of Arkın University of Creative Arts and Design.